You can greatly reduce your risk of burglary by taking a few simple security measures to help make your property less attractive to thieves.
Most burglars are opportunists and target homes and businesses that offer the least risk of being caught.
Keep your home safe and secure:
- Keep front and back doors locked, even when you’re at home
- Install a burglar alarm with a visible alarm box
- Keep all valuables and keys out of sight and out of reach of doors and window
- Store high value items in a hidden safe
- Mark your belongings and register them for free with Immobilise
- Don’t leave spare keys in obvious places such as under doormats or plant pots
- Keep items that could be used to break into your property such as ladders, tools and wheelie bins stored safely away
- Lock side gates to prevent easy access to the rear of the property
- Use pea shingle on driveways or under windows, as it crunches loudly when stepped on
- Trim overgrown hedges and plants to remove hiding places and improve surveillance
If you see anything suspicious call 101 or 999