Offenders, commonly claiming to be from the ‘water board’, target properties in order to commit distraction burglaries.
If someone knocks claiming to be from the ‘water board’ then there is every possibility that they are not a genuine caller.
Protect yourself and your property by following this simple safety advice:
• If you are not sure who is at your door, don’t open it!
• Check the identity of the caller by calling the company they are claiming to be from i.e. gas, electricity, water and police – use the telephone numbers listed in your local directory or provided independently by your service provider – don’t use any telephone numbers provided by the caller – they may be bogus.
• Don’t let them in until you are satisfied
• If in doubt keep them out!
• If you are suspicious call the police on 101
Please note: the ‘Water board’ no longer exists, it is an obsolete phrase used only by bogus callers.
If you have any information relating to distraction burglaries in your area or would like to report a crime please contact Thames Valley Police via the non–emergency number 101.
If you don’t want to speak directly to police you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Message Sent By